No events scheduled…
Phillips University Family News
May 21, 2014
In October of 1938, Mrs. Arlene Dux Scoville donated to
Phillips University 475 acres near Eureka Springs, Arkansas, named Inspiration Point. The property was originally called Rock Candy Mountain. In the early 1900s, a German
immigrant named Mowers began construction of a castle made of triangular shaped cut stones. Mowers believed the stones would create a natural air conditioning effect because the sun's heat would radiate off the points of the rocks. When Mowers went broke, Reverend Charles and Arlene Scoville purchased the property and changed the name to Inspiration Point.
The Scovilles transformed the property into the Ozark Bible Conference and expanded it to include an auditorium, a springhouse built over Indian Springs, and another structure known as the Stone House.
When Phillips acquired the property, Professor Henry Hobart began holding a six-week summer music camp, featuring everything from jazz to opera. The youth opera was known as the Sweet Sixteen Opera Company. Some of the students stayed in rooms in the castle.
Inspiration Point was used for retreats and conferences year round. Reverend George Rossman managed Inspiration Point. Phillips students, such as Rose Miller Shaklee, were fortunate to work at Inspiration point during the summer. They served as guides for tourists or worked in the snack shop, gift shop, or kitchen. It was a wonderful way to earn tuition for the next semester.
In 1973, Inspiration Point was purchased by Vernon and Annella Baker. Vernon Baker graduated from Phillips University in 1942, served in the Navy during World War II, and then returned to the school to teach geology and physics. The Bakers transformed the site into a popular museum depicting Ozark life at the beginning of the 20th century.